Wyaralong Dam Offset Implementation
- Client: Seqwater
The Project will implement the Wyaralong Vegetation Management, Monitoring and Reporting Plan (prepared by Verterra) including:
- Maintenance and management of 215 ha of Environmental Corridor plantings
- Maintenance and management of 180 ha of Vegetation offset plantings
- Monitoring of 88 biocondition assessment plots on a routine schedule
- Weed management of 1422 ha of regrowth forest to ensure development to remnant status
- Weed management of 2753 ha of remnant forest
Weed management: Cost effective mantenance of native forest revegetation works and weed management over large areas presents a significant challenge given heterogeneity of the landscape.
Monitoring: The published approach to bio-condition monitoring requires long, narrow transects that have inadequately sample planted seedling regeneration.
Weed management: By combining an understanding of weed growth and reproductive cycles, plant competition interactions and spacial data management, Verterra was able to develop a targeted weed control program that maximises efficiency of effort and minimises maintenance cost.
Monitoring: Linear transects were replaced with circular plots to improve representation of planted seedlings in a given area of sample plot. The modified approach of Eyre et al., 2010 was accepted by the regulator.
Benefit to Client:
The project provided a cost effective approach to ensure compliance with development conditions by ensuring revegetated and regrowth areas meet progress to remnant status.
- Market Sector: Water and Wastewater
- Native Forest Management
- Biosecurity matters
- Monitoring and database management
- Location: Queensland
- Year: 2012 - 2016