Species testing for rehabilitation of coal mine sites for timber production and carbon sequestration
- Establishment of trial hardwood plantations on ex-pasture land and rehabilitated mine spoil
- Species testing for rehabilitation of coal mine sites for timber production and carbon sequestration
- Design, establishment and monitoring of replicated species trials
- Site clean up, cultivation, seedling production, trial layout, planting, fertilising, weed control, fencing, monitoring and reporting.
Benefit to Client:
The trial plantation enabled the client to understand the potential to deliver productive post-mining land uses and mitigate its carbon liability through mine rehabilitation and buffer land management, achieving multiple outcomes from a single set of activities. The project established the viability of hardwood plantations as an option for mine spoil rehabilitation, and inclusion of this option in rehabilitation objectives that provide a positive legacy for the community post mine closure.
- Market Sector: Mining
- Mine site, tailings dam and degraded land rehabilitation
- Carbon bio-sequestration
- Research Services
- Location: Queensland
- Year: 2009 - 2010 - 2011